Winter is here, Christmas markets are here, freezing temperatures are here – at least they feel freezing although on the thermometer the numbers are still well above 0. I’ve had my first warm spiced wine of the season and still… yes, still haven’t heard ‘Last Christmas’ this December. The rumours are in the air about more restrictions post-holidays, but no point in thinking about this now – as now it’s time to open the next-to-last Crate of 2021.
- “Men’s roles seem to give them a great deal more freedom, AND I WAS RESOLVED THAT FREEDOM WOULD BE MINE.” Niki de Saint Phalle was a notoriously uncategorizable integral part of postwar art scene in France and the author of the giant Tarot Garden in Tuscany.
2. Photos are little glimpses into history and John Alinder’s portraits show us Sweden from 100 years ago.
4. Think you know British English? Very interesting.
5. How good are you at guessing languages? LingYourLanguage will help you find out.
6. And to finish off for this week – a science cartoon by Rich Tennant.
And that’s it for this time. Happy reading and until next week!
If you want to receive the Crate to your mailbox, you can subscribe here at Substack.