This week is only 2 hours from ending, and thus I’m in a hurry to open this Crate of Curios before it’s done. Here we go!
- Most people have probably heard of Burning Man festival and its reputation for out-of-this-world costumes and installations. Well, established in 1986, it’s becoming an establishing presence and now it has a young rival kicking at its heels – welcome to the scene the 10-year-old Wasteland Weekend!
2. Why is Athens full of similar residential buildings? There is a good reason for that. The polykatoikia was a bottom-up solution for the post-war housing shortage in the Greek capital. (the illustration is by Josh Kramer).
3. This week’s poetry spamming originates from the pen of Iain Crichton Smith.
4. Grant Snider has a beautiful short comic on shadows.
5. Remember when Jon Stewart used to run “The Daily Show”? Then you might just remember this epic rant on deep dish pizza as well. No dish has even been dissed so thoroughly.
So, this was it for this week. Happy reading and until next time!